Liam DelaneyWWP
Benefits Manager, Nordvik Energy
Wesley Keller· Global Mobility Manager, Kestrel Aerospace
Asked in Job Architecture & Careers ·
Public university in New Zealand, about 3,200 professional staff. We finished mapping everyone to a new seven-level framework in August and committed, in the consultation with the union, to an appeals process. It opens in three weeks and I am still designing it.
I expect 200 to 300 appeals based on what colleagues at other institutions saw. Two things I cannot settle: whether the panel should include the people who made the original decision, and whether 'my colleague in another faculty does the same job and was mapped higher' is a valid ground.
I would also be grateful for realistic numbers on how many appeals succeed.
6 helpful · 3 insightful · 2 agree · 4 replies · 177 views · 4 following
Accepted answer· by Amara Larsen
We ran this at a UK university two years ago and I would suggest two stages. Stage one is an informal review by the HR partner and manager within ten working days, which resolved 45% of ours with no panel. Stage two is the panel, independent of the original mappers. Grounds were limited to three: wrong or outdated information about the role, criteria misapplied, or process not followed. Comparison with a colleague was not a ground on its own, but it was admissible as evidence that the criteria had been misapplied. Uphold rate at panel was 22% of 118 cases.
Read in the conversation ↓