Victor UedaCEP
Job Architecture Lead, Independent
Liam Chen· Compensation Manager, Pinehurst Foods
Asked in Job Architecture & Careers ·
I joined a fintech in London as the first reward hire four months ago. We are about 450 people, expecting 650 by the end of next year. The founders set up six levels when the company was 80 people and they are proud of how flat it is.
The pressure points are obvious. Level 3 holds 38% of the company and covers people with two years' experience and people with nine. Promotion from 3 to 4 takes four years on average and exit interviews mention it constantly.
I am inclined to go to eight or nine levels, but I do not want to redo this at 1,500 people. How did others size it, and is there a way to add levels without everyone feeling re-graded?
7 helpful · 3 insightful · 4 agree · 4 replies · 336 views · 9 following
Accepted answer· by Elif Alvarez
I went through this at a payments company that grew from 500 to 1,800. What I would do in your position: design for nine levels on the individual track, populate seven now, and split only your current level 3, into two levels with criteria that differ on scope and independence, not years. Everyone else keeps their position relative to their peers, so it reads as one level being divided, not a re-grade. Budget for the split, though. About 30% of our old level 3 landed in the upper half, and their pay needed a 4 to 6% correction to sit sensibly in the new range.
Read in the conversation ↓