Benefits Manager, Silverline Media
Ulla Iversen· Total Rewards Manager, Aurora Hospitality
Posted in Job Architecture & Careers ·
Sharing this because I suspect we are not alone. I look after reward for a Canadian insurer with about 5,200 employees. In 2024 we consolidated 62 job families into 23, with sub-families allowed only where the market data genuinely differed.
Twelve months on I audited the HR system and found eleven new 'specialisms' that behave exactly like families: separate titles, separate criteria documents, and in three cases separate pay ranges agreed locally. Most came from actuarial, claims and technology, each with a reasonable-sounding argument at the time.
My lesson is that the consolidation was the easy part and we never defined what a new family has to prove. I would be interested in what tests others apply, and whether anyone has actually refused one.
8 helpful · 4 insightful · 4 replies · 315 views · 6 following