Victor Ueda· Job Architecture Lead, Independent
Asked in New Member Welcome ·
I moved into a compensation analyst role at an IT services firm in Bengaluru two months ago, after three years in recruitment at the same company. We have about 6,000 people in India and smaller teams in three other countries.
My manager is helpful but stretched, and most of what I know so far I picked up by reverse-engineering old files. I would like a proper foundation so I understand why we do things as well as how.
If you had to pick two or three things to read or work through first, what would they be? I learn better from worked examples than from theory.
4 helpful · 3 insightful · 3 agree · 5 replies · 201 views · 5 following
Accepted answer· by Liam Silva
Three things, in this order. First, any standard textbook on base pay, but only the chapters on job evaluation, market pricing and range design; skip the rest for now. Second, your own company's last two survey submissions, because matching your real jobs to survey jobs teaches more than any chapter. Third, the association's foundation course materials on market pricing, which are full of worked examples. Then rebuild one existing pay range from raw survey data yourself and compare it with what is in use. The differences are where the learning is.
Read in the conversation ↓