Compensation Consultant, Cardinal Insurance
Grace Zhang· Director of Benefits, Bellwether Consulting
Posted in Pay Equity & Transparency ·
I expect disagreement, which is the reason for posting. I have run pay equity analysis for twelve years, currently at an energy company with about 7,000 employees across the UK and Norway, and I have grown uneasy with how the adjusted figure is used.
Every variable we add shrinks the gap. Grade, function, performance rating, tenure. Each one is defensible alone. But grade reflects promotion decisions, ratings reflect manager judgement, and function reflects who was steered where. We control for the outputs of the very processes we should be examining, then report 1% and call it done.
My view now is that the adjusted number should be a minor diagnostic, and that the board should be held to the raw one. Where do others stand?
8 helpful · 1 insightful · 2 agree · 6 replies · 675 views · 6 following