Director, Total Rewards, Copperfield Mining
Farrah Oyelaran· HR Business Partner, Nordvik Energy
Asked in Pay Equity & Transparency ·
I am a one-person compensation function at a 1,200-employee engineering consultancy in Ireland. For two years I have run our pay equity regression in a spreadsheet add-in: log of base pay on gender, grade, discipline, office and tenure. It works, but every rerun is a day of manual steps and I cannot easily test alternative specifications.
I have budget for either a specialist pay equity tool, quoted at about 28,000 euros a year, or some training for me in a statistics package and a bit of consultant time to review the model.
For an organisation this size, which would you choose, and what am I underestimating either way?
11 helpful · 4 insightful · 1 agree · 5 replies · 607 views · 5 following
Accepted answer· by Fiona Chen
I have done both, in that order. The scripted route took about six weeks of evenings, plus two days of a statistician's time to review the model. After that a rerun took minutes. Weakness: it lived in my head, and when I was off sick for a month nobody could run it. We bought a tool when we passed 2,000 employees and needed HR business partners to check individual cases themselves. If you are the only user, you are paying 28,000 for an interface for one person. My suggestion: script it, document it properly, have it reviewed externally, and revisit when someone other than you needs to use it.
Read in the conversation ↓