Total Rewards Manager, Steinbach Industrie
Bianca Ferreira· Benefits Analyst, Larkspur Manufacturing
Posted in Sales Compensation ·
I defended caps for years. I work for an industrial equipment manufacturer in the north of England with 75 sellers, and we capped incentive at 200% of target for as long as anyone can remember. The reasoning was cost control and a worry about paying a salesperson more than a director.
Then I looked at order dates for the eight sellers who reached the cap over three years. In every case their orders dropped sharply in the weeks after they hit it and jumped in the first month of the next year. We were paying people to stop.
We removed the cap this year and replaced it with a large-order rule and a lower rate above 250%. Cost rose by under 1% of sales compensation spend. What is the case for keeping one? I can no longer make it.
3 helpful · 4 insightful · 3 agree · 6 replies · 299 views · 7 following